Popular Posts

Friday, October 14, 2011

Creepster McCreepenstein

Whoever invented the baby monitor is a creepster mccreepenstein. I've always loathed baby monitors. The noise they pick up almost always sounds like white noise or demonic breathing. I could totally do without it. We had a video monitor that didn't pick up so much noise and if I woke up worrying about him, I just looked at the screen, saw his chest (or butt depending on the position) moving up and down and went back to bed. The video monitor broke.

I didn't have an extra $200 to replace it. So I got a $17 audio monitor. The dreaded. When I used to baby-sit, I was deathly terrified of it. My charges never went to sleep. I never understood it, but maybe like dogs, the kids can smell fear and decided to stay awake so I wouldn't be scared. (Baby-sitting always scared me anyways, because aren't they always the first to go in slasher movies?)

We had gotten along peacefully with the audio monitor for about, oh, a week. Then last night. Let me preface by saying that it didn't help that I watched six episodes of Ghost Whisperer before going to bed- not a scary show, but it puts things in your brain. Weird thoughts. All of a sudden, I'm Melinda Gordon on the look out for earthbound spirits that need to cross over.

So I have a very fragile mind state. I'm a wimp.

The Dude woke up SCREAMING at 3 am. I had just fallen asleep an hour earlier because I was working on his costume so I let John take that one. I heard him try to give him a bottle and come back to bed. The Dude was still screaming. I was told to ignore it. (Yeah, right) After 30 seconds (and hearing some mamas in there (which he's never said), I got up and picked up the screaming Dude. He had the most pitiful look on his face. I changed him and held him for a few minutes. He started pointing to the wall and waving. I thought it was weird, but he likes to wave to the sky, trees, cars, a multitude of inanimate objects- so it wasn't too alarming. I put him down, put the bottle in his mouth, stroked his head a few times and he was back on his way to peaceful slumber. I still felt a little uneasy leaving him there by himself (Ghost Whisperer syndrome).

Then, this morning around 6:00 am the monitor went off. It sounded like a pterodactyl raping a duck. This horrible screeching noise that went for a few seconds. It woke me and John up. It stopped. Jude was quiet. His Rock A Bye Baby was still playing. We asked each other what it was and went back to sleep. (It scared the crap out of me, but not enough (or too much?) to go and check to see if the ghost had done something to Jude. Mother of The Year.) An hour and a half later, we were treated to about 8 loud thumps on said monitor. Knowing John had heard this sound before, I wasn't too scared. Because it was The Dude slinging his bottle across the slats of the crib. Being a dutiful mother, I went to go get him and start the day. He was fast asleep. Creepster McCreepenstein.

No comments:

Post a Comment